Check here for AstroQuest news and website updates from the science and outreach teams.
9 October 2019 – Melbourne meet up and progress
Incredible, almost 56,000 galaxies are inspected! Congratulations AstroQuesters! We’re working on some exciting new things for AstroQuest in the background now, as well as keeping things ticking along.
Melbourne Meet Up
Some of the AstroQuest team will be in Melbourne this weekend and will be available for a meet up on Saturday the 12th of October near the Exhibition Centre in Melbourne city. If you’re keen to come say hi and chat about AstroQuest, drop us an email and we’ll work out the details with you. We’d love to say thank you in person to some of our citizen scientists, and we’re bringing along some AstroQuest goodies to share!
We’re working on
- A competition (with prizes!) for AstroQuest users, likely to start early next year. Keep your eyes out for some spot prizes along the way as well, we’ll send you an email if you’re a winner!
- Updates to the website to make it even more streamlined to use AstroQuest.
- A help ‘panic’ button with examples of tricky galaxies that might help if you get a bit stuck inspecting a particular image.
- More galaxies for you to inspect!
Wow, almost 28,000 galaxies inspected by all you fabulous AstroQuesters, 18,000 since our last update, thank you!
Updates since April 2nd include:
- Teacher guides added for the Australian Curriculum.
- New achievements have been added for our top users (hi Time Lords!). You can check out your achievements from your profile page while logged in.
Thanks to everyone who has been sending us small issues and bugs as they’ve been noticing them, or just letting us know when they see something interesting via the report feature. Happy Questing!
2 April 2019 – Site Updates
Welcome AstroQuesters! Thank you for joining us on a journey through time and space…
We appreciate all the reports from users like you to help us iron out the kinks post our launch. Here are some updates that we’ve completed in the last week and a half:
- Error messages flooding your screens and stopping your quest have now been fixed, thank you for your patience with this major one! If you find any of these error messages instead of galaxy images again please let us know ASAP.
- When you’ve completed all the quests (thank you power AstroQuesters!) the bug that had you stuck in the final quest and no longer able to inspect galaxies (or threw you back to time novice) is now fixed. Once you’ve completed all quests, the final quest will deselect and you can continue to inspect random galaxies from the more than 60,000 already uploaded to the site. We’re working on more quests for those that are already through the first set, so stay tuned.
- When you skipped a galaxy it wasn’t added to your gallery properly, nor counted in your quest count. This small bug with big ramifications has now been fixed, as skipping a galaxy (and letting us know why) is just as valuable as inspecting it. Unfortunately we can’t recover data from previously skipped galaxies, so you might see them again, but this time they will appear in your gallery and will be saved for the science team. If you skip a galaxy and it doesn’t show up in your gallery right away, please hold shift and refresh the galaxy inspection tool webpage to prevent your cache getting in the way of the update.
If you notice anything else that seems to be acting weirdly please get in touch via the Contact Us page and we will look into it as soon as we can.
Thank you for all your help so far, we can’t believe more than 10,000 galaxies have already been inspected in our first week! You’ve all done a fantastic job.